Near my place is a light commuter rail train bridge overpass under construction. Construction’s been on hold for over a year because (shocker) the project is over budget and the government is fighting with various private companies over who pays the bill. My bet is it takes five more years to finish this thing. It’ll be a decade behind schedule and probably a few billion over budget. Which seems to be how America builds things nowadays.
Anyways, since this very new and expensive bridge is essentially abandoned, people get to have a field day except for the nearby construction storage site. That site is safe is because it’s surrounded by cameras and barbed wire. But the bridge itself is essentially open, if you’re daring or dumb enough to climb out on the steel edges of the supporting beams. The beams are about a person’s width wide, without a railing, and a drop of at least a 100 feet or so. In other words, you can walk out there, but if you fall you’re done.
And wouldn’t you know it several crazy folks have done so, to spray paint graffiti on the side of the bridge. The first guy did this months and months ago. It was a crude word that was incomprehensible, I guess it was his art name? I have no idea, I’m not exactly up on the graffiti scene / lingo. This morning another artist / goon (depends on your viewpoint) put his or her tag on the bridge side next to the old word. The new stuff was super elaborate. It must have taken hours to spray that on there.
I draw the following conclusions:
1) Whoever did this had the mental fortitude / courage / guts of a person who in caveman times would have killed all his rivals and made ten surrounding villages his bitch. It takes balls to stand out there with inches between life and death for hours, and to somehow spray a well composed coherent concept.
2) Like a lot of places in America, the crime rate in my local area has soared lately. We had a carjacking the other day which is extremely rare. This weekend the cops were back, just down the block from me. Yesterday I had to shoo my dog along during the walk because she wanted to play with a man who made no attempt whatsoever to conceal he was dealing hard drugs. Spray paint a bridge illegally? No worries, the cops are nowhere to be found (for many, many reasons which we won’t get into today).
3) Despite his nighttime tactics, I’m sure the artist / goon (depends on your viewpoint) would have been visible to at least a few pedestrians and those driving in cars. So either these folks just let him do it and didn’t care, or they called the cops and the cops didn’t show (see above). But I guess if folks saw this and didn’t care, I’m okay with that. Somebody spray painted a bridge, so what? If government can’t be bothered to not completely & totally waste taxpayer money for a decade on a failed transit project why not let some dude have at it?
4) Will the most incompetent of governments take the time to paint over or remove the graffiti? Well, like I said the one guy has had his stuff up there for months, so my guess is no. At least not until construction resumes on the project, if it ever does. So these dudes have their stuff just hanging out there on this steel bridge forever.
5) If I had spray painting skills, and the guts to do this, I’d spray paint the most random shit up there. Something that would cause people near constant question marks in their heads for years. I’d have like a woolly mammoth playing cards with a penguin, a Cossack, an elderly Incan lady, and a half full glass of water, all of them sitting on a table made of ice, next to a campfire fueled by discarded Chinese newspapers, whilst on the Moon. It’d be great! Losers would be searching for the deeper meaning of it for years, when there would none whatsoever.