You know the thing about the hierarchy of needs is once you take away the hardest ones of rent, food budget, Netflix, running water, booze, etc the list becomes pretty short. Do you really need a doggy or a kitty? No, but a lot of people do it because it feels good.
But also, the absence of any hierarchy gaps can get pretty destructive. Do people really, really need to bathe in national politics as much as they do? No, your local mayor is way, way more important to your daily life, but folks will swim all in the Mueller report today because they can afford to. After all, it’s not like they’re worried about sleeping tonight without HVAC available.
And when the hierarchy is almost entirely addressed, I do believe modern culture also allows people to go down the path of the criminal insanity. Circa 1437 you could die from just about anything. The idea of a measles vaccine would have been the equivalent of planting a rocketship in your sheep pasture.
Yet because one goon scientist published a report that said MMR is bad for you (a report that’s now been completely and utterly disgraced) it’s spawned one of the most bizarre movements in modern human history. It’s like these people want to take their hierarchy backwards. Once, you could be vaccinated against an untimely death. But who wants that? You can just do without it!
So, I guess, you can also do without:
– Cleaning drinking water: There are chemicals in their tap water, they probably cause cancer, or autism. Sure, billions of other folks on the planet have to drink filth water and they don’t. But still, better safe than sorry. Their best bet is to only drink water straight from a mountain stream. Don’t filter it in advance either, those filters probably also cause cancer.
– Shelter: Death from exposure is underappreciated.
– Science: The anti-vaccine crowd seems to be an amalgamation of both wacko ends of the political spectrum. And so: To the anti-vaccine left, what do you think science says about global warming? And so: To the anti-vaccine right, what do you think science says about the ability for certain chemical reactions to induce explosions that kill ISIS terrorists?
– Polio vaccine: FDR didn’t get it. And he’s considered one of the greatest people in human history. What’s not to like?
– Cars, trains, buses, bikes, etc: Technology, progress, etc are things to be rejected, apparently. So just to be safe everybody can/should only walk anywhere they need to go. But this will be difficult to accomplish as since nobody has any vaccines their bones will be dust by age 27 ala Circa 341 BC. But it’ll be worth it!
– Electricity: There was once a time in human history (say 4800 of the last 5000 years) where nighttime was so dark, so dangerous, so unproductive that humans had to live with the concept of “second sleep“. Since electricity has been tied to any number of dangers, such as cancer, autism, mind control, appendicitis, night elves, high cholesterol, etc, we should break all our light bulbs and live by candlelight only. But, so you know, candles also cause cancer. Sorry.
– Clothing (of any kind): Cancer.
– Agriculture: Have they tried to live the life of a true hunter-gatherer? If they haven’t, they’re missing out on all the fun of a grinding, unspeakable struggle where if they fail at even one day’s hunting and gathering, they’re finished.
– Blogging: Someone, please, help me!
Sheltered enough to permit raw stupidity (poor, poor kiddies)