A child was endangered, a gorilla got shot, people are now angry about both, and in the end I think the only thing that’ll matter in the long run is this is just yet more justification of why we’re all bound for the crypt as a human race.
I’ve got no idea what my point of this post is, I’m just a bit frazzled, do or do not bear with me. It’s your call. Your were warned.
There is a ever growing path in society to just go around and dispense with things that offend people:
– You’re not supposed to play tackle football anymore because it’s dangerous. Do folks conceptually understand just how perilous driving a car is?
– You’re not allowed to criticize Erdogan anywhere on the planet anymore without getting sued or charged, even though he’s essentially a dictator. Even Frau Merkel is in on this plan. Did she happen to forget what opinion the Stasi took on such matters when she was a kid?
– Do you have a varying political opinion from your friend, co-worker, or acquaintance on the street? Shame on you. You should be silenced. We must all agree on everything. Or else.
– If you happen to every once and a while prefer unhealthy food, then you’re just not understanding that one day a giant 300 pound strongman will be appointed by the courts to stand over your shoulder and hit you with a stick for not eating a pre-approved, organic, sustainable food option.
– If you love the zoo? That just means you hate animals and want them to suffer.
– Down with squirrels. Because why not?
When I was a young lad my Parents lost me in the middle of Disney World. I seriously remember looking around and having lost track of where I was with none of my family in sight. I must have been about eight or something. Not knowing what else to do, I just sat down on a bench figuring they’d be back at some point. And sure enough, probably about fifteen minutes later my Dad strolls up and all was well.
But think of all the wonderful things that could have happened to me:
– Fallen into the It’s a Small World river and drowned.
– Run amok pawning candy off total strangers.
– Got myself kidnapped by the Goofy mascot who would then have taken me to his gingerbread house.
– Proposed marriage to the princess and demanded to remain in this World forever.
But now because a child falls into a gorilla enclosure, the universe has apparently collapsed. Folks with either too much time on their hands or no appreciation of the planet’s (or their own) actual problems feel the need to detonate the lives of the kid’s parents.
It’s literally international news. These parents are going to have their lives and reputations detonated by the trolls. In our brave new world, social media no longer allows you to make mistakes. You have to suffer for being a flawed human being. Which means you have to suffer for drawing air from the atmosphere. Because we’re all flawed human beings. What a wonderful moment for humanity.
I suggest, that if folks have an issue with these parents making a mistake, they need to put down the fucking stone. But I don’t really get a vote.
Yet that’s not enough for some people, for since a gorilla was killed, we now need to bang on the zoo drum. For you see, the zoo is evil. It captures wild animals and put them in a cage for our own amusement. It’s positively barbaric. If that gorilla had not been in the zoo, it’d still be alive.
Except that it wouldn’t. Because it would have died. Because with some rare exceptions, almost every animal lives longer in a zoo then it does in the wild. Do you know why? Because wild nature is a freaking thresher. It consumes life with glorious abandon.
Depending upon your viewpoint, it could also be said humanity consumes life with glorious abandon. You know what won’t help with that? Closing zoos. Think we already care almost nothing for the planet? Wait till four year old Timmy can only read about tigers in a book. Because the tiger zoo was banned in 2036.
And only Timmy’s rich classmates’ parents (who were the elitists that demanded all the zoos close) have the cash to take their kids on a tiger safari, in which they’ll have to be encased in bubble wrap surrounded by armed guards. Because life is dangerous you know. In 2037, kids won’t be allowed to do anything. I fear for this future.
Shit happens. Parents make mistakes. Zoos make mistakes. Kids make mistakes. I make mistakes. You make mistakes. Your very act of driving a car is more dangerous than anything you do. Even if you frequently eat or drink poorly to the point you endanger your own life. You should be allowed to run your mouth to folks about anything without fearing the lawyers or secret police show up at your door. But you should also be wary of breaking out the social media bat to club somebody you’ve never met. And the zoo is still a great place. Because it teaches kids about nature in a manner they’d never experience otherwise. And in the end this benefits nature.
And in the end I’m going to lose this fight though. I’m going to get overruled by governments, outrage trolls, do-gooders, and all the others to whom the previous paragraph is viciously offensive. So enjoy the zoo while you can, I guess.